Lab Behavior and Traits

Recommendations for Training classes or anything helpful to new adopters
robinruth1

Lab Behavior and Traits

Postby robinruth1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 pm

I have a 3.5 year old female Chocolate. I am very committed to working as a therapy team and have been in several training classes in preparation of this. However, my girl is still excitable, jumps and doesn't calm down for about 5-10 minutes when we have company etc. Once she settles she is perfect, gentle and very well behaved. Does anyone else have this issue and what worked for you if anything. I've been told it is a "Lab thing", "she will grow out of it" or "Labs are forever puppies don't expect this to go away anytime soon". I am not buying any of these comments and am going to keep on working at it. Looking for some advice and feedback from experienced Lab owners. Thanks! :)

aande

Re: Lab Behavior and Traits

Postby aande » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:14 am

Does she respond the same when you take her to class? Have you tried keeping her on a leash and having her sit when people come in? You can use treats to help keep her attention.

robinruth1

Postby robinruth1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am

She actually is a dream in class. Which baffles me even more.

aande

Postby aande » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 am

I would try having her sit for treats before people come in and have her stay for a few minutes after they come in. If she starts to get excited have her sit and wait again until she calms down.

robinruth1

Postby robinruth1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:53 am

My husband and I actually practice this with her but, it can take forever for her to get into a calm state. When visitors/company come over I hate making them wait outside the door until she calms. We inforce the Cesar Milan method of no look, no talk, no touch until she is calm. But, she is still pesty and excited until she is acknowledged. Then she starts to calm down.

aande

Postby aande » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:39 am

What triggers the excitement? The people or the doorbell? If it's the doorbell Victoria Stilwell has people outside come up and ring the doorbell while someone inside is making the dog sit and stay until it is calm then letting the people in. For this to work your dog must know sit stay first, then you work on the doorbell, only rewarding after they have done the action and continue to reward as the people come through the door to keep her mind off the people but yet still see that they are coming in the door. If the dog can see through the glass then it might not work with you and your husband. We actually need to try this with our dogs as they bark and run to the door when the door bell rings.

Don't want to start any wars, but Cesar's way is more a alpha pack theory and most people tend to side in Victoria's camp with positive reinforcement. Here is one article I found that explains the differences between the two of them. http://www.dailydognews.co.uk/victoria- ... illan-438/ I would definitely look into Victoria's way and see if it works any better.

robinruth1

Postby robinruth1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks, I will surely check out Victoria's way. I am not opposed to any suggestions or new training tactics. I have heard she is good.

Return to “Recommendations”