How the MLRR Adoption Process Works

Tulip

How the MLRR Adoption Process Works

Postby Tulip » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Everyone,
As a former board member and foster home coordinator I wanted to try to give you a formal explanation of how the MLRR adoption process works, as many of you have expressed interest in meeting several dogs on this forum and I don't want you to get frustrated in any way.

If you have had your home visit already, hopefully the MLRR volunteer has gone over this process with you, but if not, I hope this will help.

Once you have applied to adopt a dog, an MLRR volunteer will be in contact with you to set up a home visit. This might not happen in a few days or even within a week as we need to find a volunteer that lives near you and that has the time to visit with you and your family. So, if you haven't been contacted yet, and are still waiting for your home visit, please be patient as we operate strictly by volunteers and we want to meet with you, but we just need to find the time in our schedules as well.

After your home visit is done, that's when the hard part starts...the waiting :) MLRR goes by a priority system that is sometimes deviated when a special needs dog is up for adoption. That priority system is set by the date of your home visit. At all times there is a waiting list for MLRR dogs, but the time does vary, so the length of time you will wait to meet a dog will also vary. It could be a week or two, depending on how open your preferences are, or it could be up to a month or longer, if you are more specific about the type of dog you want. For example, many people want (approx) 2 year old yellow females, so if that is what you are looking for, then it will take much longer than say someone who is more open to age, gender or color. The more open you are to age, gender and color, the faster your priority date will move up the list. Also, if you are open to a special needs dog, ie. one that needs training, is heartworm positive, has separation anxiety, then you will also move up the list faster as many people are not able to deal with those types of issues (oh, a heartworm positive dog is really not that special needs as it is NOT the death sentence that some people seem to think it is-but many hw+ dogs stay in foster care longer as they are overlooked due to their current health issue).

Since our adoption list runs anywhere from 10 to 40 families at any given time, there will always be some type of waiting period. The dogs that you see on our site now, while you may very much want to meet, are probably having adoption appointments with families who have already been waiting to meet their new family member. So, if you do express interest in a specific dog on our site, please know that our placement coordinator is aware of your selection and has definately made note of it. BUT there is a very good chance that the dog you want to meet may be adopted before you make your way to the top of the list. However, please do keep sending in the emails and noting your interest on the forum, because you just never know if someone might be on vacation or for some other reason doesn't respond to their email or phone call introducing them to a dog. As foster home messages go unanswered within (normally) 48 hours, we will move to the next name....because there is such a long list of families wanting to meet dogs. So sometimes your interest in a dog will prove fruitful, if the families ahead of you do not respond.

I hope this helps explain our process a little more. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me, your home visit volunteer or anyone else associated with MLRR, we are always here to help.

Molly_Mae's_Mom

Re: How the MLRR Adoption Process Works

Postby Molly_Mae's_Mom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:32 am

GREAT post!

I also wanted to suggest for families to use this forum to their advantage. Because there is a wait of approved family no matter what time of year, don't just come on the forum after you are approved and say you want to meet ALL the dogs. Chances are, you probably won't meet some of the dogs that you want and it just creates more unnessary work (from volunteers on the forum to the placement coordinator to the foster families, etc.) and more frustration. MLRR has successfully adopted out hundreds of dogs in over 10 years without this forum, so you will eventually find a dog, whether you express your interest in 10 dogs over the forum or zero. Instead, read the descriptions of each dog, write down qualitites you want and don't, ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DOGS. I can't stress that enough. This forum is a great opportunity for families to talk directly to the foster families and ask questions about the dogs to see whether or not a particular dog would fit into your family and lifestyle, and vice versa. So instead of just expressing interest in every dog who immediately catches your interest, research a dog's personality a bit more and really know what qualities you are looking for in a dog. This way, when you and your family do start meeting dogs, you'll have a better feeling and idea as to whether or not a particular dog is right for you.

Tulip, krismlrr and Molly_Mae's_Mom are a few volunteers that graciously donate their time to keep tabs on the forum. Please ask us questions about the process, taking care of a dog, or to better discuss what sorts of doggie traits and qualities would work best for your family and lifestyle. Please don't ask specific questions about where you are in the list, how much longer the wait will be, etc. I promise that all the volunteers for MLRR are doing their best and working their hardest to make sure that you specifically will find the perfect dog. However, this takes time. And better to wait for the perfect dog than rush into a dog that you and your family aren't compatible with, yes?

So research, ask questions, make a list. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to privately message me (Molly_Mae's_Mom) and I will do my best to answer your questions and help you out. I recently went through the process myself so I know how confusing (and yes, a bit frustrating for the impatient.. like me :) ) the process can be.

Thank you everyone!!

Sara Sweeney

Postby Sara Sweeney » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for all that info, just so you know, I do read the info about each dog because our first priority is making sure the dog is kid (and cat) friendly. Color, sex of dog isn't as important. We know we might have to wait, but I'm hoping our patience will pay off!! good things come to those who wait, right? :D

AlettaJocius

Postby AlettaJocius » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Thank you for this. We have our home visit on Saturday! We are interested in an older 4+ yo male that's mellow to match our mellow yellow Brit lab. See you soon!

FoutzFam

Postby FoutzFam » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Great posts. Thanks very much!

We, too, very much appreciated the detailed descriptions of the available dogs, and we read through them thoroughly before expressing interest. We definitely have questions, but we figure it would be best to express interest, see if we get a visit scheduled, and then save the questions for the visit, you know? Especially if we might not even get to the visitation stage. When that does eventually come, seems like a good time to not only get to know the dog, but to ask away, hopefully in preparation of welcoming our newest (furry) family member.

Thanks, MLRR volunteers, for all that you do! And we're excited to be part of the process and affiliated with this fine organization.

Foutz Fam
Colt, Katie, Jonah & Ben

hoosierswife

Postby hoosierswife » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Like Sara Sweeny, we are still waiting for our home visit x's 2 weeks. Hoping to be approved so we can start the waiting game too. We also need cat and kid friendly. :-) Glad we aren't the only ones.

elizabethdimond

Postby elizabethdimond » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:07 pm

9-15-11 The enhanced description of the adoptive process was exactly what my EAGER mind and heart needed. Now I can relax a little and "get with the (your) program" . I have been in contact with several dog adoption programs and Midwest is the absolute best. Go get yourself a dog-kiss as a special thank you! Elizabeth Dimond

Aduke

Postby Aduke » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Where do I find the application to fill out?

agordon720

Postby agordon720 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Deb

Postby Deb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 am

Please note there is now a new link to our Adoption Application and adoption information: http://www.mlrr.org/adoption-information/

Return to “General”