Middle Aged Labs

agordon720

Middle Aged Labs

Postby agordon720 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:25 pm

We have so many great middle aged labs right now that are being passed up for adoption. These dogs are in good health and have so many great years ahead of them. Please share your stories below if you have adopted an "older" lab and encourage our waiting adopters to keep an open mind!

jean

Re: Middle Aged Labs

Postby jean » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:16 pm

God bless all you people who adopted the middle aged and/or older Labs. When I read the story of Chelsea and Winter, I cried, then got furious. Those people got those dogs when they were just 8 weeks old. They kept them til they were 12, then when they had twins the dogs became disposable. It breaks my heart when people treat dogs like that. The sad thing is that both Chelsea and Winter, as well as other dogs given up in similar circumstances, would run back to that rotten family, their hearts full of love. Dogs don't know the meaning of grudge. All they know is unconditional love. Middle aged and older dogs have just as much to offer as young dogs. And they are grateful. Several years ago, we adopted a Lab shepherd mix, Tillie, and she was the best dog. She was 7 or 8 when we got her. We didn't know about MLRR then. We got Tillie from Orphans of the Storm. She's since passed away - she had a tumor in her throat, and both of us will always cherish the short time we had that great dog. Dogs all bring immense joy and love, no matter their age.
'

JudyFA

Postby JudyFA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 pm

The oldest lab I have ever adopted was 5, so I have never adopted a senior. I have; however, had three labs that lived to 15, 14 and one only 10 because he had severe health problems. What I will say about seniors is this: There is nothing more precious to me than the moments, hours, days, weeks and longer that I spent with my labs while they left this life. I love the fact that the last face they saw when they passed, was mine. I love that I held each one of them in my arms and whispered into their ear to go now and that I would see them again some day. I love that I watched them spend their last days just laying in my back yard, with the sun on their back, while I stroked their face and told them I loved them. Having a young lab is a trip, sometimes a circus, and sometimes exhausting. They are funny and silly and crazy. But, older labs are wise, are grateful, have low expectations, and enjoy nothing more than to just feel your hand at their side or a chance to rest their head on your lap. There is nothing more sweet and I am grateful to have experienced the latter years with my labs.

Judy

ForumMod

Postby ForumMod » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Judy - thank you so much for you words. I, too, have been with 2 of my dogs as they breathed their last and I would want it no other way.

Return to “Suggestions and Comments”