Bud - ADOPTED!

Molly_Mae's_Mom

Re: Bud

Postby Molly_Mae's_Mom » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks for the kind words, Doug & Sally (says Bud :mrgreen: )! Good luck finding your new furry friend!

Kristen

Keegan Family

Postby Keegan Family » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:26 pm

I was able to meet Bud this morning. Didn't work out to be cat compatible BUT he is a sweet and wonderful dog and would make a great BUDdy for someone. I hope he finds his forever family soon!!!

agordon720

Postby agordon720 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Anyone else interested in meeting Bud? It's true - he didn't end up being cat compatible, but other than that he is a great boy! He's ready for an adventure since the weather is getting so nice! He went for an extra long walk today and did great. He also went for a run this morning with his foster daddy and really enjoyed that! He's super affectionate and a really loyal BUDdy! :-)

FoutzFam

Postby FoutzFam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Sure. Thanks for the heads-up. Bud sounds like he's really settled in and he's putting on the lbs. What else can you tell us about him? Maybe the comment about "marking" scared some folks off? But wait till they get a new dog home -- can be quite a transition, eh?

We're approved adopters (2 weeks now... and counting!) and we're looking for a calm but playful guy or gal to fit in with our two young boys (gonna be 5 and 3 in September) and our 11-year-old cat, Lucy.

We'd love to meet Bud! We'll be at the Chicagoland Pet Expo Saturday (late a.m./early p.m.). Any chance Bud will be there?

Colt, Katie, Jonah & Ben Foutz

FoutzFam

Postby FoutzFam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:00 pm

D'oh... I did just notice (actually, notice again) that the previous visitor said Bud wasn't cat-compatible. But his description says he is. Can you fill us in a bit more? Our cat Lucy has her own space in the basement (and a kitty door on the basement door off the kitchen), and she generally steers clear of the boys, but comes up to hang out with us while we watch TV at night. We'd still like this to be part of her routine, and her new routine with our new dog. How do you think Bud would do in a situation like this?

I know... now we're getting very specific. :-D

agordon720

Postby agordon720 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Foutz family - I know there is a bit of conflicting information. The group we got Bud from said he was dog and cat friendly. I don't have a cat myself but he did go and meet someone about 2 miles from me who had a cat and it didn't work out. He wanted to see it, sniff it, get real close to it, and really check it out - which the cat did not appreciate. The cat started hissing which I think made Bud even more interested. So...not really sure if this is how he would act around all cats or if it would depend on the cat and how the cat responded to him...Right now we are thinking that Bud might do best in a household where he is the only pet.

Bud marked that one time on the first day and since has not tried it again, nor has he had any accidents in the house...ever! He is really a very good boy. He met my cousins who are 5 and 2 and that went well. He was more interested in all the adults. The 2 year old was a little scared because Bud was moving around so much and well they are both like the same height...so tails were wagging in faces, etc. My lab is 11 1/2 and much calmer and tends to lay around a lot more so my youngest cousin is more used to that. Bud really likes to get in your face and give lots and lots of kisses! Have your boys been around dogs a lot? How do you think they would be with the kissing, etc and being at the same or a little taller height than Bud?

agordon720

Postby agordon720 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:06 am

Great news everyone! Bud just got back to my house after two weeks of training at Bark Avenue! He loved it but is glad to be back in his foster home.

The trainer worked with Bud on his food aggression and he no longer exhibits any of the aggressive behavior that was occurring before he went to training. My dog and Bud eat side by side with no trouble what-so-ever! Same goes for treats!

Not only was he trained out of his food aggression but they worked with him on all of the basic commands. He knows sit, stay, down, come, and walks perfectly on a leash!

Matt Covey at Bark Avenue is one of the best trainers in the Chicago area and it certainly shows in Bud's new demeanor.

If you have any questions or are interested in meeting Bud please respond to this posting on the forum or send me a private message. He is available to meet families later this week and weekend! Thanks!

Sable

Postby Sable » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know that Matt Convey at Bark Ave. is a mircle worker. My boyfriend and I adopted our second lab from MLRR in December and she was such an angel until she had to go into her crate. I have never seen a dog react so violently to a crate. We sent her to Bark Ave. for two weeks of training and she came back like a new dog, she even willing goes into her crate now. I'm sure that Matt helped out Bud too!!!

agordon720

Postby agordon720 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Bud is like a new dog. Today our new foster dog arrived - a yellow male and all three of the dogs have been doing great together. We have two foster dogs at the moment and one of our own. All three of the boys played with their tennis balls in the backyard for several hours on this beautiful day. Not once did Bud try to get another dog's ball. He has been sharing his toys so nicely. When it was time for treats the all sat nicely and waited their turn until I put the treat in front of them. I was hesitant about how Bud would be after training, but am realized he really he is a new dog in regards to his past food aggression and resource guarding. He is going to make a great dog for that one lucky family.

Judith Schwager

Postby Judith Schwager » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:39 pm

[quote="agordon720"]Hi - I'm Bud's foster mom so if you have any specific questions about Bud, please just ask! Thanks![/quote]
Hi there,
I filled out the form but then we discovered that Bob, our Black Lab whom we had adopted in July was still heartworm positive, we had adopted him from a Lab rescue in northwest suburbs. He had to undergo two months of restricted activity along with the three shots. But he is now ready to rock and roll. He has a tendancy to be the "star" in any situation, but we believe he was trained as a helping hands dog or he is really a person in disguise. He's very food motivated. When our Gus was still alive, 13 yr old Lab who died in February, I had to separate them at breakfast and dinner, Bob would gulp his and move Gus, who was so sweet, out of the way and eat his. Other than food, Bob is a sweetheart, completely trustworthy in the house, was hoping that Bud was too. Bob weighs about 87 pounds but is so gentle, walks like a gentleman. I truly think that these two guys would get along and was hoping maybe that we could meet Bud. Bob needs a friend, he was very attached, instantly to Gus, they got along so well, other than one inhaling all the food. Now Bob is lost, won't go out in the back yard at night by himself. Even though there are floodlights on the sun room that illuminate the everything. Never had the problem when Gus was with him, they were the fearsome duo, any squirrels and raccoons had to run for their lives. If you think they might make a good match, please let me know. The application was under the name Judith and George Schwager in Hoffman Estates, friends of Katherine and Steve Grathrath. My cell number is 312-520-6973, home numbe is 847-934- 6677

Return to “ADOPTED!!”