Raw Food Diet for dogs

alangrylls55

Raw Food Diet for dogs

Postby alangrylls55 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:51 am

I have been reading extensively about this and am giving serious consideration about moving my dog (labrador) onto a BARF diet. Does anyone out there use this diet for their dogs? How practical is it?

aande

Re: Raw Food Diet for dogs

Postby aande » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:11 am

When you say BARF do you mean veggies & meat & bones?

I feed my shih tzu RAW, which all raw meat, bone, and organs.
It's not hard or time consuming for such a small dog.
But I'm also trying to figure out if I can do it with my lab, but since he has a chicken allergy, it's a little more expensive since I would rely on other protein sources.

I highly recommend checking out the Raw Feeding yahoo group or Facebook page.
There are people on there that have been doing it for years!

Saniya23

Postby Saniya23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:59 am

I did some online searching and for food comparisons and discovered that he could be allergic to something in his food. I changed him to Canid ae which is all natural with no wheat, chemical preservatives, or corn, plus it has salmon which is great for a dogs' skin. Sure enough in a few weeks I noticed a difference. No more scratching and biting and the irritations went away. Canid ae is certainly one of the best dog foods I have found.

martinez1424

Postby martinez1424 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 am

MY LAB WAS HAVING SIEZURES AND I PUT HIM ON CANNADAE GRAIN FREE AND THEY SEEMED TO STOP. HE ALSO LOST WIEGHT IT IS GREAT STUFF. RAW FOOD IS EXPENSIVE FOR SUCH A LARGE BREED. INSTEAD OF BISQUITES GIVE THEM CARROTS, BEETS OR OTHER CRUNCHY VEGGIES CHECK THE WEB FOR THE BAD ONES LIKE GRAPES AND GARLIC.

Sue Welker

Postby Sue Welker » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:30 pm

I feed my 2 labs and my fosters a combo of grain free kibble (Taste of the Wild) and commercial raw dog food. There are several great brands out there that are EZ to use & can be bought in large quantities. The least expensive highest quality brands that I have found are BRAVO, NORTHWEST NATURALS, STELLA & CHEWEYS, AND HONEST KITCHEN. It has made a HUGE difference in my chocolate lab who has had skin allergies (itching, lesions and hot spots). I feed only the cool proteins which are duck, rabbit, pheasant or neutral which is pork or turkey. The improved health of my dogs sure cuts back on vet costs and off sets the increased food expense. If you want more info please email me. coachsue1@aol.com I have been reading, feeding and researching raw options for years. I also recently started using Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw & it is EZ to use and my doggies love it. Also for treats you can give carrots & apples. I also mix in chopped spinach & broccoli in their food. I have many good web site & resources if anyone wants more info. FEED YOUR DOG WELL & EXERCISE THEM AND THEY WILL REWARD YOU WITH YEARS OF LOVE! :lol:

Return to “General”