supplies needed for a new dog

We always love to hear how their former fosters are doing.
cb

supplies needed for a new dog

Postby cb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 pm

I hope to be adopting soon but right off have no idea what all I need to buy for my new dog. Can someone help? Thanks

Signed lab lover--soon-to-be-labowner

coachsue1

Re: supplies needed for a new dog

Postby coachsue1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Thank you for adopting! 8-)
You will need a crate or have a safe place for your new labbie to stay while you are gone.
Maybe a dog bed or blanket.
Food and bowel for water & food
Leash & possibly a harnes and collar
Lots of LOVE and patience! :D

mlrrkris

Postby mlrrkris » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Also, some grooming supplies, such as a brush. My guy Cole also likes DentaStix and Milk Bone Essentials...His Mom (me) especially likes the fresh breath one!! haha

scpanos

Postby scpanos » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Tennis balls! Also some small training treats even if you aren't in training yet labbys are really smart and you can do some training on your own and they are food driven. I like freeze dried liver. Congrats on the pending adoption! My MLR dog is the BEST!

yellowdawg

Postby yellowdawg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 am

nylabones! labs love love LOVE to chew! nylabones are great!

krismlrr

Postby krismlrr » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:14 am

Yes, Nylabones (sp) are excellent! I second that! As well as the whole ball thing! Cole loves his Kong squeaky balls! In fact, he just loves squeakers in general. If you don't mind a ball that sounds kind of obnoxious, but makes you laugh when he's got it, The Kong ball is great for you (look for the ones with squeakers! they are extra fun =0) ~ Krissy

tulip

Postby tulip » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Nylabones are great as are Kongs. Both of these are toys that can be left with the dog safely, while you are gone. We fill our Kongs with a piece of american cheese ad then stick it in the microwave fro 20 seconds. when done, take it out and roll it around so the melted cheese coats the inside. both the kong and nylabone can be placed in the crate with the dog as they can't get any pieces off it that will cause a choking hazard. we also recommend this to all our foster homes as a great way to teach dogs the happiness of toys, as many have never known what a toy is. Good luck with your new dog!

Francesca Kuhn

Postby Francesca Kuhn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm

re: supplies for your new lab
Just a suggestion, but you want to get stainless steel bowls for water and food - easier to send through the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle.
Not that your dog will have allergies, but just in case, then you don't end up getting cute plastic bowls and find out from your vet to feed only in a bowl that can be sanitized. Also, the nylabones are a great idea - my chocolate labs really like the strange shaped ones ( i.e. dinosaurs) easier to really get into that chew mode. Another suggestion are Kongs - mine like the floating kong so I can throw it into the water and it floats so they can jump in and get it. The Kong frisbee is also a good toy for teaching frisbee games. Regular Kongs are great for when you leave the house - put some dog food inside and give them the Kong - they won't even notice you left for work.

cindyboggs

Postby cindyboggs » Mon May 30, 2011 12:12 am

That is a good point about stainless steel bowls. I was using plastic bowls that came with my elevated feeding station. My yellow lab developed gunk around his mouth. As it turns out he had 3 different bacteria growing around his mouth. One of the bacteria was hard to get rid of and it took a $150 antiobiotic to get rid of it. Go for the stainless!

Sue Welker

Postby Sue Welker » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 pm

I use ceramic dog bowels & runthem through the dish washer every day. Keeps them cleam & sanitized! :roll:

Return to “Success Stories”